Your guide to healthy, safe, green and non-toxic food, toys, and baby care products.
Tip: Select toys that are made from natural materials. Like solid wood (either unfinished or with a non-toxic finish), fabric (organic cotton, hemp, or wool), or bamboo.
• Made in the USA, Canada, Japan, or Europe (other countries may have lax safety regulations).
• FSC certified wood (sustainable forestry).
• ACMI AP certification (non-toxic craft supplies).
• Pressed or layered woods (pressed woods often use toxic glues to keep layers together).
• Lights and sounds (mercury in small batteries).
• Cheap metal jewelry (often contains high levels of lead).
• Play cosmetics (often contain toxic chemicals and heavy metals).
• #3 (PVC) plastic (may contain lead or phthalates).
BABY CARE PRODUCTS
Tip: Buy fewer products and use them in smaller amounts.
• Products with the most ingredients you can pronounce.
• Products with the USDA Certified Organic Seal.
• Locally made products.
• The Toxic 10 Ingredients: Parabens Phthalates DMDM Hydantoin Fragrance Triclosan Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate Toluene Formaldehyde PEGs anything with “Glycol” or “Methyl”
• Baby powders and talc (they can irritate baby’s lungs).
Tip: Go organic.
• Of the formulas, powdered formula is best. Liquid formula is second best if it is in a safe plastic container. If you must get liquid formula in a can, get concentrated (then dilute with filtered water).
• Baby food in glass or safer plastic jars (#1,2,4, or 5).
• Soups and soymilk packaged in cartons by Tetra Pak and SIG Combibloc (made of safer plastic and are recyclable).
• Fresh or frozen fruits and veggies.
• Whole grain and multi-grain breads and crackers.
• Ingredients for recipes your child helps choose. If they’re involved in the process, they’re more likely to eat it.
• Pre-packaged or individually packaged food.
• Metal cans lined with BPA resin and polycarbonate plastic containers.
• Foods with high fructose corn syrup, unnecessary additives or preservatives, and synthetic coloring.
• Foods with more toxic residues: meat, poultry, dairy, apples, bell peppers, celery, cherries, imported grapes, nectarines, peaches, pears, potatoes, raspberries, strawberries, spinach. Always buy the organic options of these foods.
Source: Healthy Child World: The non-profit leader inspiring parents to protect young children from harmful chemicals. Visit Healthychild.org.
Under the Nilefor a list of retailers, visit www.underthenile.com
MiYim for a list of retailers, visitwww.miyim.com
gDiapers for a list of local retailers, visit www.gdiapers.com
Bumgenius for a list of local retailers, visit www.bumgenius.com
Good Mamas for a list of retailers, visitwww.goodmamas.com
Naturepedicfor a list of retailers, visitwww.naturepedic.com
Seventh Generation for a list of retailers, visit www.seventhgeneration.com
Kicky Pantsfor a list of retailers, visitwww.kickypants.com
Earth’s Best for a list of retailers, visit www.earthsbest.com
Baby Soy for a list of retailers, visit www.babysoyusa.com