Makes 10 servings
1 pound whole-wheat macaroni
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
15-ounce can diced tomatoes, no salt added
15-ounce can kidney beans, no salt added
15-ounce can sliced carrots, no salt added
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1. Ask an adult to help you chop the onion. Set aside.
2. Ask an adult to help you prepare the macaroni in the large saucepan by following the directions on the macaroni box. But don’t add salt to the water. Drain in colander. Rinse with cold water to keep it from sticking together. Set aside.
3. With an adult’s help, heat oil in the medium saucepan. Add onion, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Stir and cook over medium heat until onion gets soft, at least 5 minutes.
4. Using the safety can opener, open the cans of tomatoes, beans and carrots. Pour beans and carrots into the colander in the sink. Run water over them. Do not drain the tomatoes.
5. Pour the can of tomatoes into the saucepan on top of the onion. Stir. Add the drained beans and carrots. Stir again.
6. Put the lid on the pan. Turn the heat to low. Cook the vegetable mixture until it’s steaming and hot, about 5-10 minutes.
7. To serve, put cooked macaroni in a big serving bowl and spoon some bean mixture over it. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of grated Parmesan and stir. Then add more bean mixture and Parmesan to the bowl and stir. Continue doing this until you’ve used all of the bean mixture and the cheese.
8. Time to eat!