Sweet and Fruity Chips ’n’ Salsa
Makes 10 servings (a serving is 8 pieces)
8 whole-wheat tortillas
1 Tbs sugar
½ Tbs cinnamon
3 cups diced fresh fruit — apples, oranges, kiwi, strawberries, grapes or other fresh fruit that you like
2 Tbs sugar-free jam that you like
1 Tbs honey or agave nectar (NOTE: Babies shouldn’t eat honey. Use agave nectar instead.)
2 Tbs orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Cut each tortilla into 10 wedges with the kitchen shears. Spread over baking sheets without piling them up. Spray the pieces with cooking spray, being sure to hit each one.
3. In one of the small bowls, combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over the tortilla wedges.
4. With an adult’s help, put the baking sheets in the oven. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until the pieces are crisp.
5. With an adult helping you, and using potholders, take the baking sheets out of the oven. Place on a cooling rack and let the chips cool.
6. With an adult’s help, cut the fruit into cubes. Gently mix the cut-up fruit together in the mixing bowl.
7. In a separate small bowl, mix jam, honey and orange juice using the small whisk.
8. Pour this sauce over the diced fruit. Mix gently.
9. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
10. Serve as a dip or topping for the cinnamon tortilla chips.